Some truths come out
So I haven’t written since Neena got on Dor’s case at
lunch. I had this half- written in
March, then life got crazy and school’s been tough, with teachers excessively
assigning stuff as if to justify their jobs…..anyway, I’ve been busy.
Let’s start where I left off – with Dor’s tormentor. The popular girls are ticked because Neena
got in trouble. There is going to be an
assembly sometime soon on tolerance, according to Miss du Stique. The kids think it’s because of the Neena
incident. But hey, it’s not as if these
kids would pick up a newspaper and read about that guy Ravi who was found
guilty of bullying through invasion of privacy.
Schools all over the state (and the country) now have to worry about
bullying that might result in a suicide.
There’s even some movie that’s coming out about bullying. I guess I’m in style!
Seriously, tho’, this bullying stuff with Neena is water under
the bridge for me. So much stuff has
happened since I posted that. First off,
the often postponed play was offered a date and a venue – the first weekend of
June, in the old Frost Spring Men’s Club building behind the historical Frost
Spring United Methodist Church. They
have a stage there, and room to set up chairs for an audience of 200.
Now I haven’t said too much about the play lately. It’s been crazy, and I don’t know where to
begin…..
Remember the speaking parts we’d been promised? Besides singing in a few of the ensemble
numbers, we get to shout “Turn that frown upside down!” whenever “Shirley the
Smile Sprite” appears on the stage.
Whoopee!
I shouldn’t complain – the script is both cloying and pandering,
but I knew that by the time I’d read the third page of the script. I was in this for the whole crew, not for
myself. But hearing the lame lines and
the sappy songs, day in and day out for a few months now….it’s torture! How else would you describe a play with lines
like “Shirley you can be happy,” and songs like “Grinners Are Winners”? That’s
“Shirley the Smile Sprite’s” big song-and-dance number – the one where they
plan to have streamers attached to her wings and wand. They’re discussing silver and gold
streamers. Are we in the First
Grade? Ugh.
The chorus of that song makes Carl and me want to puke:
“Grinners
are winners – And winners are cool
Frowners are downers – So don’t play the fool”
The other day, a few of kids the director chose for singing
parts didn’t show up. So there was
another audition. One that Wren never told us about! So none of us even had a chance at
auditioning for a play that we all knew practically by heart, because we’d been
there for like three months, listening to the lines and songs over, and over, and over…
I’m beginning to think that Wren is losing sight of what this
play was supposed to be about…it was supposed to be a vehicle to raise money to
take our group out for a cool end-of-the-year trip. But now Wren hardly notices us! She’s more interested in the “stars” of this
play. And she’s switched her loyalty
from us to the first group of Antonio’s picks, and from them to Antonio’s new
stars. Carl’s talked about quitting, but
he doesn’t want to disappoint Dor. So
instead he channeled his emotions by re-writing some of the lyrics. I mean, we have to do something while Wren
and Antonio put their new pets (Heather, Brittany, and two girls named Madison)
through their paces. Here’s Carl’s
version of “Grinners Are Winners”:
“Grinners
are winners – And winners are tools
Frowners
are downers – And they smell like stools”
Although we were supposed to go over the scene with “Shirley the
Smile Sprite,” the new Shirley didn’t know where to stand on stage, or how to
move her arms as she danced (pranced?
minced?), so we were, once again, forgotten. Then they went through another number, and
suddenly Heather – or is it Brittany? – decided that she wasn’t getting enough
attention. I get these chicklets mixed
up; one’s the costume maker’s daughter, and the other is the niece of the guy
who’s in charge of the sound system, but they are both prima donnas. Anyway,
all of a sudden, Brittany (or Heather?) starts losing her voice. Hmmm…
Finally Mrs. R decides it’s time for us to go home. She’s here because she had originally tried
for the Narrator part. But then Antonio
had the bright idea (after some of the first bunch of kids had quit) of casting
adults for the parent & teacher parts.
So Mrs. R is now the “erratic mom” as well as the “guidance
counselor”. But as the “family chef,”
she told Wren & Antonio that we’d have to go now. As we were leaving, Wren called out to remind
us to be sure and study our lines.
Is she serious? It’s not as if we could forget something as ridiculous
as “Turn that frown Upside down!”
On the ride home, Mrs. R asked us if we thought that Wren or her
husband had political aspirations, and if this “do-gooders youth group” she’d
started was nothing more than a resume enhancer. Mrs. R’s mind was going down a path that we
kids would have never explored, but her theory makes sense – political
aspirations needed some kind of substantive base to stand on – maybe her
concern for the community’s youth was just a foundation to build a local
political career upon. How else would you explain a grown-up’s change from avid
interest to barely concealed impatience toward a group of kids. Wren was acting more like a middle-schooler
than us middle-schoolers!
How pathetic is that? I
thought you were supposed to grow up after you graduated from school. I guess that only works for some people.
Until
my next post…
Randi
No comments:
Post a Comment