Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Ghostcat The Next Day…


          The next morning, as I walked to school, I smelled bear.  Aunt Lina.  She had probably gone back to check my kill.  I hope the little dog got enough to eat before she got to the woods, & frightened everything off.  Aunt Lina had been asleep when I left for school, but it was one of my early mornings – I’m in the chorus & they meet in “zero period” – Forty minutes before the first class of the day. 
         What can I say about chorus?  I like to sing, and my friends are in chorus, so I joined too.  Mrs. Beach is so much fun, and we sing cool stuff.  But it’s still a school class, and so stupidity is the name of the game.  I think I’ve already written about the whole “Christmas without Christ” concert before Christmas…
          The Spring Concert has no stupid restrictions, because it’s not tied to any holiday (like Easter or Passover). Mrs. Beach has used gospel spirituals, Broadway show-tunes and pop songs in an attempt to win the “Clash of the Choirs” trophy.  Dor tried out for a solo and will be singing “Frank Mills” from “Hair.”
          Dor is a pretty good singer – that’s why I was so surprised when she didn’t get a singing part in “Cheers Not Tears—Just Smile!”  But…that’s another thing I’ve written about in previous posts, so I won’t waste time rehashing it…
          As I reached the front door of D. S. Whitstone, I saw Carl locking his bike to the parking lot fence.  He wasn’t supposed to do that, but the bike rack was already full.
          “Wait up!” He shouted.
          Ruby’s dad’s van pulled up just as Carl reached the door, so we waited for her.  She grabbed her backpack and lunch out of the van and ran over.
          “Carl, is it true that your mom’s making you quit the play?” Ruby asked breathlessly as we walked into school.
          “Yeah,” Carl said, grinning. “And I’m glad.  I have the chance to play with a real folk band at a benefit for Breast Cancer.  I was recommended by my banjo teacher to play with this group.  It’s all adults & me.  How awesome is that?  Mom thinks that it’s a better opportunity than doing Wren’s play. Who’s gonna come see ‘Cheers Not Tears—Just Smile!’ when we do the single performance Antonio is planning?  Some local do-gooders will see it, but it won’t help me in my musical career.  Pete freakin’ Seeger himself will be at this Breast Cancer Benefit, and I can use this as a ‘resume enhancer’ when I’m trying for a music scholarship.  That’s more important than chanting ‘Turn that frown upside down!’ a few times for Wren.  Although I will come see the play when --I mean IF—it ever happens!”
          “I think it’s what’s best for you,” I said.  “But Dor’s not gonna quit – she still thinks Wren’s gonna come through for us.  Wren did promise us a fantastic end-of-the-year trip out of this.  Maybe we’ll go to Great Adventure or the Museum or NY Aquarium or something.”
          “My mom likes that I’m doing an after school activity so I’m still in,” said Ruby.  “And Amelia’s mom’s been asked to play Jackie’s mother.”
          Carl laughed. “Mrs. R is gonna play the depressed mom, too?  She has the best line in the whole play!  Lucky!”
          “What?” I asked, trying to recall the script.
          “She gets to bang on the table and yell at Shirley the Smile Sprite.  The line is pure schlock. ‘I wouldn’t be so unhappy, if he were a better kid!’  I can’t wait to see that!” Carl crowed.
          Misquoting that line was the joke of the day for us.  Amelia adapted it in Mrs. Farfanella’s math class, when Byron Knight got a problem wrong.  She slammed her book on the desk and said “Byron, Mrs. Farfanella wouldn’t be so unhappy, if you could just learn to add!”  I didn’t have Mrs. F. for Math, but Dor and Carl did, and they reported it to Ruby & me at lunch.  It made Miss F. laugh, and she didn’t even know about the play.
          Then Dor took it up to complain about how her Mom made a lousy sandwich.
          “I wouldn’t be so hungry, if she’d just make my egg salad with extra mayo!”
          We all laughed so hard, that the teachers began to give us weird looks. The kids in our grade already thought we were geeks, so our odd behavior was hardly noticed by anyone else.  But it helped make the day go faster!
          Play practice that afternoon was a disaster.  Wren was frustrated when a few of her “stars” didn’t show (and didn’t bother to show).  Only one of the Madisons showed up, Heather’s threatening to quit, and no one could find Brittany….When she found out about Carl, she nearly blew a fuse.  Antonio was cool about it; Carl’s playground scenes were mostly pantomimed anyway.  He figures one of Wren’s triplets could fill in.
          Oh!  Last week we got a new male lead, Roger.  The girls are all goo-goo eyed over him.  He doesn’t want to be bothered with them, and sometimes hangs around by us, which is making us even less popular with the Madison-Brittany-Heather-Madison clique.  It’s funny, I’m not even sure if they like each other, they just seem to have banded together because of the play, and because they dislike the attention Roger pays us.  Great, like we need more trouble than school gives us.
            I know I’ve said this before, but I cannot wait until this play is over.

            Until my next post…
            Randi 

No comments:

Post a Comment