Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What’s Up With These Random Posts?

If there’s anyone out there actually reading this, you’re probably wondering why my posts are so random, and why I didn’t post things as they happened.  “Why can’t Randi just post things on time and write about today, and not stuff from October & November?  Well, I’m trying to keep an updated narrative, but life seems to intrude.  So I have a confession to make.     I got caught by Aunt Lina, fooling around on the internet, & I got punished.  She took away my computer access.  I don’t blame her, I guess, because I didn’t follow the rules.  I wasn’t supposed to be on a social network site.  Aunt Lina said I could get in trouble, and I was too young anyway.  But Kara & Lizzie gave me the idea, when we were at the Cranberry festival, to make up a fake Facebook account, with a fake name & a fake picture, then I could message them or chat.  Lizzie said I could keep in touch with all of the cousins that way.  And I could see the photos that Kara was going to post of Spanking Charlene and Care Bears on Fire.  So, since I’d already mastered having a blog, I figured I could do Facebook, too.
I set up an account as an 18-year-old, “Maddie Penington”.  Why 18?  Because there’s all kinds of samples and stuff that you can get through Facebook pages if you’re old enough.  Feminine products, fragrances, soaps, lotions, even scented candles were offered.
I filled in the offers with my real name; I just accessed them thru “Maddie’s” Facebook page.  Aunt Lina noticed that I was getting stuff in the mail, but she just figured it was part of making a move to get all of these samples (if she wondered at all).  I also played free games like Farmville & stuff on Facebook.  Then one day when I was playing a game on the laptop, I went to the bathroom and left the page up, and Aunt Lina saw it in passing.  And she asked me about it.  I couldn’t lie about it.  I didn’t think it was a big deal.  Boy was I wrong!
I got my computer taken away.  Indefinitely.  I just got it back for a little, in December, but when Lizzie came over for New Year’s Day and we were on the computer, she went on Facebook, and somehow, my account (which Aunt Lina & I had DELETED) came up again.  Aunt Lina accused me of opening it up again, and when I told her I hadn’t she accused me of LYING to her.  As if!  Lizzie flew to my defense, because she had probably inadvertently re-activated the account by pressing “yes” to this question about playing Farmville from the laptop…Aunt Lina got mad at both of us, because the internet “Isn’t exactly like playing around in the woods,” as she put it. 
Lizzie reminded her that the woods could be dangerous, too.  Aunt Lina just laughed, and said “Not for Randi.  She and I are at home in the woods, but the internet is like playing in traffic.”  Lizzie just laughed, and that was like adding gasoline to Aunt Lina’s fire.  She took the laptop into her bedroom, saying I couldn’t use it for another month…So I just got it back today and that’s why I’m posting stuff from a couple of months ago.  I’m sorry I’m such a lousy blogger.  And that I got Lizzie into trouble with Aunt Lina.
It’s a terrible thing to be accused of doing something you didn’t, and have someone you love swear that you did it even when you didn’t.  I guess it’s a part of growing up.  But I think it really stinks.  I hate to think that she’ll believe that I lied to her for the rest of her life, when I didn’t.  Imagine if it wasn’t just Facebook and Farmville, but something really important!  I suppose we should be thankful that it’s only a stupid mistake, and not something critical. 
 I also think that suburbia’s getting to my Aunt Lina.  She gets angry really quickly, lately.  Normally, in the winter, she’s dreamy and low-key, like a bear in hibernation.  But now she’s like a bear that’s been disturbed.  I know she wouldn’t like me blogging like this, so I have to be extra-cautious.  Maybe I should just give it up, but I find this writing soothing, and I have so much to say.  So I guess I’m still gonna do this, keeping under her radar.  After all, this began as a homeschool assignment; so she can’t say I’m doing this behind her back!
Until my next post…
Randi 

No comments:

Post a Comment